Monday, February 15, 2010

Taste and color


Dylan, Thor, Monique and I stayed in an apartment up the hill in Oullins. I took a walk one afternoon and spotted a building that I thought wore an unusual pattern. As I stopped to take a photo, I noticed that the woman who drove by me was giving me the evil eye. She slammed on the breaks and made a 'U' turn in the middle of the street. She had barely stopped her car before she had already open the door and confronted me with this question. "Why are you taking a photograph of my house?" I walked toward her and explained that I was an artist and that I thought the wall was beautiful. I asked her if she knew the American artist Jackson Pollock. She said no, and then said something that I didn't understand until later. It went something like this "Les gouts et les couleurs, ca ne se discute pas!" Basically she said 'There is no accounting for taste!" This is the second time this has happened. The first time I thought the man might punch me. I had to show him the photos of the trees that I taken.

No comments: